Thursday 4 February 2010

Botanical Beads of the World by Ruth J. Smith

 
Melon seed purse from  Botanical Beads of the World by Ruth J. Smith

While searching for a reviewer today, I stumbled across a compilation of jewellery and other items from around the world that incorporate botanical bead elements.  Primarily seeds, nuts, and fruits, there's incredible variety and subtlety shown in the images.  I love the story about how she got started:
"From childhood I have been fascinated by nature’s infinite variety of forms, colors, textures, shapes and sizes.  Seeds display this amazing diversity, and over the years I have accumulated a sizeable collection of botanical necklaces.  These “beads” consist of seeds, fruits, stems, roots, arils (seed appendages) and rhizomes (underground stems).  I admired them, I wore them and I wondered about them.  Where had the seed come from and which plant produced it?  When I tried to learn something about these “beads” I discovered there were no books that dealt with the subject."
Extract from Introduction from  Botanical Beads of the World by Ruth J. Smith

 
Datura seed necklace from Botanical Beads of the World by Ruth J. Smith

 She went on to work with botanists to identify her collection, and explore the cultural significance of each element of it.  I can't wait to look through the book in more detail, and read this interview and feature on her collection over at The Herb Companion.

No comments:

Post a Comment